Friday, June 1, 2012

Designer Spotlight: Amber Jones from Purple Paparazzi

Amber Jones, designer of Purple Paparazzi jewelry, is a one-woman beading machine.  Her designs are bright, bold, and definitely make a statement.  Named after a color she believes really stands out (purple) and glam photos that people tend to remember (paparazzi pics!) her line is just that - bold and memorable. Keep reading to learn more about Amber's journey as a jewelry designer. 

How did your career as a jewelry designer begin?
My stumble into jewelry design was literally that. My dear friend Carla, who I happened to be roommates with while attending college in NYC years ago, was dabbling in jewelry making and she had the patience to show me how to make my first pair of earrings, which was all I made during that phase. Carla's were beautiful and mine were laughable. And well, the rest is history. I have zero formal training though. I have never taken a class, a workshop, nothing of that sort. I have been lucky enough to grow over time being self-taught and through lots of trials and errors and necklaces that would never make the cut.

As for my transition into jewelry making, I definitely took the slow and steady approach. For me, that just worked out better because I was freelancing as a Bridal Makeup Artist for so many years so I never really knew I would turn my jewelry hobby into a full fledge business back then. But kudos to the designers that jump right in, go after it for sure!

What inspires you and your designs?
Ohhh, the inspiration question. I know it might sound cliché but I really am inspired by so many things. I draw lots of inspiration looking at fashion and lifestyle magazines and blogs. Sometimes the pretty images alone can drum up designs in my head. I am very inspired by jewelry in general. Who is wearing what and how it’s being worn. Sometimes, I will go in stores and peruse the jewelry counters and displays. For me, I love seeing all the pretty jewelry pieces and that literally inspires me. It can be the simplest thing, like maybe a color used in a piece or a type of stone that triggers inspiration. I love being inspired, it’s such a great process from conception to completion. I LOVE IT!

What is your typical day like?
My day starts EVERYDAY at the computer and getting on my emails to see if I have anything pressing I need to respond to. I collaborate with a lot of people overseas on different time zones so I usually have tons of emails I have to sit and reply to first thing. During this time, I’ll make a batch of fruit and vegetable juice and that’ll get me through my morning. I typically go to Zumba early morning everyday, YES everyday, so that helps rev me up for my work day. At some point, I try to do some blogging on my blog and then I do my daily checking of my favorite blog sites.

Truth be told, I do not make jewelry everyday, not even every week. But on the days when I do go into the studio, its usually for hours. I never force going into the studio because I don’t want to make things just to add to the collection.  On a studio day, I zone out and tune out distractions. I’m usually blasting tunes, beads and stones are everywhere in the studio, I have projects sprawled out. I love the process of it all. Can we say, an organized mess!

I spend a lot of time online though. I have been focusing a lot of my energy on [trying] to collaborate and work with other bloggers and businesses.

Currently, I am working on several bridal orders which I enjoy. Bridal season is happening right now, which is great because then I am getting more brides interested in custom work. I am also collaborating with a Swimwear Designer in Miami who is using the Purple Paparazzi jewelry in a fashion show in NYC in a few weeks. I am trying to grow Purple Paparazzi, all while being a one-woman show, so it’s very, very busy on my end but I love it.

What is the best part of your job as a jewelry designer?
The best part about being a jewelry designer is that I get to design and create whatever I want. I love being able to make things that women love. I enjoy the satisfaction of seeing how women respond to the pieces. When they get excited, I get excited. I absolutely love seeing how they wear Purple Paparazzi and I love that they support the business, that is really rewarding for me.

What advice would you give a young designer or someone toying with the idea of starting their own business?
My advice for anyone interested in jewelry design is very simple: be patient. Nothing is going to happen overnight. Take time honing your craft, design everything that comes to mind, you will hate some things later on and look back and laugh but you will grow and so will your design skills . These early things will help sculpt and mold your designing over time. You are going to make mistakes, you are going to doubt yourself. Just be patient. If you love what you do and are passionate about it, keep on trucking.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I love your stuff, Amber!

Anonymous said...

Love the statement necklaces!

 
Pin It button on image hover