Thursday, August 9, 2012

Designer Spotlight: Alexa Leigh


Known for her dainty hearts and signatures stars, jewelry designer Alexa Leigh, offers pretty necklaces, bracelets, and anklets for the minimalist and layer-loving crowd. Determined to enter a job that she loved, Alexa started her eponymous line and hasn't looked back. To learn more about how Alexa started her own company and what inspires her pretty jewels, read on! 
Let's start at the beginning. How did you get into jewelry design? Are you formally trained, self-taught, or some combination of the two?
I have no real formal training, but I love to draw so that has enabled me to design jewelry. I have always loved jewelry. Even though I would regularly go through my mother’s pieces when I was younger, it was always as if I was seeing them for the first time. I am a sucker for anything that sparkles. In high school I started making a lot of beaded jewelry, always saying I was going to sell them, but then liking them too much to part with. Funny enough, I still have everything I made then.  
What inspires your jewelry designs?
I think subconsciously I am constantly drawing inspiration from everything around me, but my designs are most affected by my mood and style at the time. I create jewelry I would want to wear myself. If I don't like it how can I expect anyone else to? 
Who would your dream client be? 
I would really love to have Alexa Chung as a client. I think she has impeccable taste and a great sense of style so I would be honored to have her wearing my jewelry.
Being a jewelry designer, what do you like best about your job? What are some of the most challenging parts of running your own business? 

I love that I am constantly creating. I can get lost for hours designing new pieces. Running your own business, however, is a 24/7 job. Both the successes and the failures lie on my shoulders alone. 

If you could go back and give your 20 year old self some advice, what would it be? 

I wouldn't go back and tell myself anything. I believe everything happens for a reason. 

Ps - take a look at some of the fabulous bloggers who love Alexa Leigh! Sincerely Jules, The Glamourai, and Song of Style. *All photos from Alexa Leigh Facebook page - go to her page for more!*

3 comments:

Jordan B said...

WOW! This designer is so spectacular; dainty is the best word to describe her designs. I'm seriously drawing so much inspiration from her story and her company. She seems like my kind of chickie! Best of luck to you Alexa Leigh! <3

Kate said...

I love all of the pieces on the bloggers! xx

Unknown said...

LOVE alexa leigh. such a great feature! love your blog, so pretty :)

xoxo

 
Pin It button on image hover