Tuesday, August 28, 2012

How to: The Art of Layering

As the temperatures begin to drop, layering clothes is a fun and practical way to stay warm.  But layering isn't just for clothing. Layering accessories is right on trend for Fall. I love layering my jewelry, rarely wearing just one necklace, or one ring, or heaven forbid, one bracelet.  The trick to good layering is having your jewelry look cohesive but not overly planned. It's a fine line, ladies.

Necklaces
I am a big fan of keeping layered necklaces simple. While a mess of bracelets can look cool and edgy, I find that a jumble of necklaces can be over powering and can quickly turn from perfectly layered to messy and distracting. I like to layer two or three dainty necklaces in the same base metal for a look that's decidedly clean, cool, and crisp.
Rings
One of my favorite ways to layer jewelry is with rings. I am definitely a ring girl, feeling naked without at least one special bauble on my fingers. My favorite look right now is layering a bunch of thin bands. You can easily mix metals for modern look and wearing first knuckle rings is also right on trend. A fan of bigger, statement rings? Keep your cocktail ring on one hand while layering thinner rings on the other hand.
The "Arm-Party"
Perhaps the most beloved body part to layer, arm parties have taken 2012 by storm. You can't find a blogger who hasn't mastered the art of the arm-party. Perhaps the easiest pieces of jewelry to layer, stacking bracelets is hard to mess up. Almost anything goes - mixed metals, bright colors, too many bracelets to focus on...  Start with a focal piece and then continue to add different textures and colors for an interesting combination.

7 comments:

Fash Boulevard said...

Fabulous post. I love how you put all of these amazing pictures together.

I'd love for you to stop by my blog to check out my interview with the fabulous ladies behind the Pretty Little Liars style. :)
www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

I so needed this post! Thanks so much. Going to try your tips.

Life's a shoe said...

this is all so pretty and inspiring!

The Marcy Stop said...

Such a great and original post! I love all things layered, and these ideas are so inspiring!
xL

Annushka said...

Your post is gorgeous, fantastic blog! Greetings from Russia.
xxxx

Amy said...

I am loving first knucle rings! I def. need to add some to my wardrobe!

http://coffeebeansandbobbypins.blogspot.com/

Christy said...

Great blog post! Love the insight into layering. Great pictures too. Fabulous.

 
Pin It button on image hover