Tuesday, September 11, 2012

How To: Lengthen a Necklace

I love my braided Gemma Redux necklace.  It goes with nearly everything I own and is the perfect mix of gunmetal and bright silver. The only thing I sometimes wish, depending on what I am wearing, is that the necklace was a little longer. There are times when a longer necklace just looks better. Longer necklaces are slimming, a little more laid back, and are an interesting switch up from the omnipresent shorter necklace.

Today is one of those days. I threw on a very fitted black tank, a boyfriend cardigan, and skinny jeans and wanted the help of a long necklace to keep drawing the eye down and keep my proportions in check.

In a matter of minutes I found a simple solution and wanted to share this helpful trick with you. I know I'll be doing this a number of my necklaces this season!

Step one:
Choose your a short to mid-length necklace.
Step 2:
Measure out a piece of matching chain to the desired length and fold chain in half.
Step 3:
Loop the chain through one end of the neckace.
Step 4:
Guide a jump ring through the open ends of your extension chain. Guide the same jump ring through the other, clasped end of your necklace.
Step 5:
Cloe the jump ring for a finished look.
Here you have your longer necklace in 5 simple steps!
 Can you see yourself trying this trick at home?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Steph said...

this is such a great little trick, thanks for sharing!

 
Pin It button on image hover