Friday, March 1, 2013

Review: Catbird's First Knuckle Rings


I just can't resist the look of a first knuckle ring. They're so unexpected and dainty and allow for the best type of layering. Catbird does these babies the best and I've been lucky enough to snatch up two of them to add to my ring collection.  My first, first knuckle ring was also Catbird's first - their classic hammered first knuckle ring in silver. And more recently, my thoughtful husband gifted me with their newest FKR, the Tomboy, in rose gold. I love throwing these rings on for an extra layer, a bit of unexpected style, and uniqueness.  

Here are the rings as they come - nestled in a little box, complete with black velvet. 

An important note on sizing:
I ordered my rings in a size 2.5. This is probably the trickiest part when it comes to ordering - finding your size. They try to help you out by giving the numbers "sizes" - as in XS, S, and M and so on - so you can kind of gauge/guess your size based on your normal definition of how large (or small) you are. My husband used this method, and guessed correctly.  I wanted a more precise approach and took to an online ring size finder to help me narrow it down. I used this one, but there are lots to choose from if you search around. 

First let's look at the original, classic hammered first knuckle ring.

Catbird says that these rings are also known as memory rings.  I agree. The more you wear this thin band the more it takes on the shape of your finger.  It's very thin so it sort of warps away from being a perfect circle, but I don't think this is bad thing. The fit becomes more precise, more unique, more you.  The biggest question I get about first knuckle rings is, "How do they stay on?" Well friends, they just do.  They look like they'd fall off, but they don't. I would likely go for a swim with one on, but for day to day tasks, they stay right in place.

Next up, the Tomboy!

If I had to pick a favorite, this would be it. It's still super dainty but with the added thickness it's more noticeable, shinier, and just looks better on my finger.  This ring has gone up to 2.5mm and it seems like the perfect thickness.  I also have a weak spot for rose gold, and this rose is just so pretty. This ring also feels slightly more secure, but like I said, these puppies just stay on and in place!


I hope that helps clear up any questions about first knuckle rings, especially the ones from Catbird. If you have further questions, leave them in the comments below. Have a nice weekend!

2 comments:

Alexa said...

I love playing around with rings!! ahh knuckle rings are my favorite! Great post!

http://www.brightandsassy.com/

ALLIE NYC said...

I will have to check them out. Yes sizing can be tricky. I also like thumb rings, there is something edgy about them.

Ali of

www.dressingken.com

 
Pin It button on image hover