Friday, February 15, 2013

Designer Spotlight: Monikia Hibbs // BFREND


I first found Monika Hibb's cute bracelet line through her blog, The Doctor's Closet. Her line of dainty,  feminine, friendship bracelets is aptly named BFREND. (Side note: could she come up with better names for her ventures?!) 

Monika seamlessly applies the same pretty aesthetic to both of her brands and this has earned her a huge following.  From perfectly styled photos of her new house on Instagram, to tweets about fun fashion events that she's attending, her aesthetic is well defined and leaves the rest of wanting more.

In an effort to get to the bottom of how she makes it all seem effortless while producing quality work on both her blog and with her jewelry line, I set out to interview Monika. She was kind enough to answer all of my burning questions about BFREND and left me hanging with a few others. Once you read her last answer, you too will be chomping at the bit for more.

Let's get into it! 

Take us back to the start: How did your jewelry line, BFREND, begin? Was it something you purposefully started out to do or was it one of those happy occurrences that just sort of evolved and took off? 

It's so funny how things start in life, most of the time very unexpected. I was not planning on starting a business at all. I was actually making some friendship bracelets at home and decided to give away two on my blog that month. Once I posted them I had a lot of requests to buy them... and that's pretty much how it all began!

What inspires BFREND and your designs? 

I love working with different colors and gold. My range is everything from chunky to simple and delicate depending what my mood is! 

What is your typical work day like? 

My day is so different EVERYDAY. Anything from working on BFREND orders to blogging for myself (and my followers of course) on thedoctorscloset.com. Some people might also not know that I am the main contributor for the Blush Bridal blog and ( yes, there is another 'and'....) work at as the events coordinator part time at The Hudson's Bay Company in downtown Vancouver! So you can just imagine how every day can be so diverse! I love being busy and kept on my toes!

What do you like best about being a jewelry designer? What are some of the challenges? 

I love creating a piece of jewelry that I can't find! It's definitely not easy to source everything I want or have imagined, which makes it a bit challenging! 
 
What advice would you give to other aspiring jewelry designers and bloggers on growing their business?  

Be yourself and create your own ideas! I think that is so important! Creating a brand that represents you and your passion will get you the furthest in life! 

Where do you see BFREND headed (or any fun future plans you can share with us)? 

I do have a little new business venture coming up! But it's still top secret. It's not exactly with BFREND... and that's all I can say! :) 
  
Thanks Monika! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next. And don't forget to shop BFREND here!

4 comments:

Vicki Archer said...

Those bracelets are really sweet, I love how BFREND evolved from a giveaway on her blog...it's lovely how things start off so small and grow!

http://vickiarcher.com

Unknown said...

It sounds like she has a pretty good work day! Doing what you love is definitely the way to go.

http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

Jolie Jouel said...

@vicky - It is so cool hearing about how things take off for people!

@saloperie - I agree, what a dream!

@MGJ - thank you!

StyleIDnet said...

Gorgeous bracelets, nice color selection :)
xx,
** Style Id Net **
** Style Id Net on Twitter**

 
Pin It button on image hover